Friday, October 23, 2009

10 Things That Increase My Love for Christ: #3- Good Sermons

I started listening to sermons on my Ipod about 4 years ago and began with a guy named Paul Washer. That’s right, I liked Paul Washer before it was the “cool Christian thing” to like! Paul is an older gentleman with a feisty spirit and absolutely no fear of saying what he means.


I was then introduced to Matt Chandler at Focus (a Christian conference for college students). He absolutely blew me away and I began listening to everything I could find of him. In fact, it was hearing Chandler that made me see how effective speaking and preaching can be and desire to have God use me in that same way. For a good period of time, I would go on nightly bike rides around my neighborhood and listen to Chandler’s ‘Ecclesiastes’ series.


Chandler is still my favorite speaker by far, and I podcast him weekly. I’ll still listen to Washer occasionally, though not often and every now and then I will listen to Driscoll or Piper or Keller though not often as well. The only other person I podcast weekly other than Chandler is my good friend Jason Hess, over at Southway Community Church. Jason is a good friend and just as good of a preacher.


What I consider a good sermon, and worth my time, is a message that is biblical, exegetical, and engaging.


For those interested, my sermons are available online here or you can podcast them in Itunes (search ‘First Colony Christian Church’) and I have heard that there are a consistent few that habitually podcast me.. which is weird beyond description. You can also find Chandler’s stuff here and Jason's stuff here.


Do you listen to sermons? Why? When/Where? Who are your regulars?? Please comment and share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment