Wednesday, October 14, 2009

10 Things That Increase My Love for Christ: #1- Passionate Music

Music has had a large impact on my life. Growing up, I was a rap fan and yes, I will publicly admit that Eminem was indeed my favorite rapper. I did, however, have to listen to him “underground” as my parents did not approve in any way, shape, or form of his music. When Christ found me during the summer of ’05, my music tastes did not change much beyond switching to mostly Christian rap (John Reuben, KJ-52, Manafest, Lecrae, and a little Thousand Foot Krutch). It wasn’t until I started playing bass in our church’s praise band that I developed a taste for other forms of music.

As I learned about music through playing it- I became less captured by hip-hop and more moved by rock music, typically very hard rock music. What I have found over the years is that I very much appreciate music that has passion. Whether that passion is found in the music itself, found in the vocals, or found in the lyrics- there is something about it that stirs up my heart and mind.

And indeed, as this series is all about, it stirs up my heart and mind towards Christ. Whether it is Christian in nature and/or lyrics or not, music with a passion- with an angst- stirs me up deeply to live and to live for Jesus. I think it has to do with reminding me that life is worth living, that there is something to strive and work for- and as a Christian I believe firmly that goal, the prize, is Jesus.


Here are some bands (Christian and not Christian- which, btw- I think is an awful label for music) that increase my love for Christ:


Blindside

Incubus

Lovedrug

Dave Matthews Band

30 Seconds to Mars

The Fray

David Crowder*Band

OneRepublic

Taking Back Sunday

Killswitch Engage

Notice that only one of those bands is unanimously labeled Christian, while many have some sort of Christian background, or affiliation, and some are not Christian at all. Also notice the different genres represented: metal, hard rock, folk, piano driven rock, indie.


How does music influence you? What types of music increases your love for Jesus? What are your favorite bands right now? Please comment and share!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Incubus, DMB!, Crowder and TBS. Some that I would add are: Martin Sexton, Explosions in the Sky, Mutemath, Prince, Phil Wickham, George Winston, Doug Smith, Angels and Airways, Jimmy Eat World, Sufjan Stevens and U2. Know it's a lot, but they also inspire Love in me.

    ReplyDelete