Wednesday, April 1, 2009

10 Things that have Changed My Life: #1- Mentors


My walk with Christ and my ministry have both been grown exponentially by the presence of Godly men and women in my life, willing to encourage and rebuke me.  Shortly after Christ found me, he brought a man named Tony into my life (Tony was a teacher at my high school; who had also taught me in 8th grade).  


Tony (see left picture) started meeting with me weekly for lunch and we would pray and discuss Scripture.  He was very vulnerable with his struggles and past and brought me in to be a part of his family.  Tony’s willingness to spend time with me and be honest both contributed to creating an atmosphere where I could be completely honest and totally see-through.  To this day, few people know as much about me as this Godly man.  He helped me walk through some very monumental issues that arose early on in my Christian life and I know for a fact that I would not be where I am today if it were not for his loving guidance.


As I graduated high school, Tony was blessed with twin girls- and those two factors significantly changed our relationship.  I soon began to become really close with another Godly man and his wife- Chris and Janelle.  Chris was the worship pastor at the church I was going to (is now my worship pastor!) and led a weekly Bible study that I attended (and now lead!).  Chris and Janelle (see picture on right) have played maybe the largest role in my ministry, from guiding me along the way, to eventually becoming a Pastor at 20 years old.  I frequently have long arguments (err..  “robust conversation”) with Chris on all things theological- and have found that he and Janelle are both great at advising me on practical decisions and giving me necessary rebuke.  On a side note, their beautiful daughter (my sister!) is one of the greatest joys in my life!  Hearing her say, "I love you, Bubba" with a little smile absolutely makes my heart melt.  =)


These relationships, and others, have engrained in me an appreciation for the biblical model of discipleship by doing life together.  My greatest piece of advice to young Christians wishing to grow in their faith is to find an older man or woman who seeks after Christ- and live life with them.  Submit to their authority and learn from their wisdom.  I would not be where I am today without the love and care that I have received from the mentors Christ has placed in my life.  Praise him!


Have you ever had a mentor?  Please comment and share!

5 comments:

  1. Mike, this was an honoring post. Thank you. And it was perfect timing. I needed to read this tonight. Thank you. I love you.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome article! Reminds me of my transformation and my close relationship with Mr. Slate. He's my mentor and its safe to say I wouldn't be walking as strong as I do now without that man. To see an older Christian want to mentor and help out a younger one is such an expression of God's love through that person. I'd like to come hear you preach some day Mike.
    -Bryan Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. now you're my boss...the irony...lol

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely would not be the person I am today without the people God has placed in my life!

    Many mentors and amazing people!

    Here is a question. Who is someone in your life in which you should be investing in?

    ReplyDelete