Thursday, April 30, 2009

10 Things that have Changed My Life: #7- Calvinism

I am reformed in theology.  Most who know me know this.  For that reason, I almost did not include this in my list of 10 things that have changed my life.  It has also become kind of a fad among Christians in college, which makes me less incline to be public about it.  But alas, I must.

I am a 7-pointer (yes..  I am that hardcore) and a firm believer in Calvinism.  I will even admit this, it is hard for me to understand the Gospel outside of the lens of Calvinism.  It is one of those ideas that when you finally accept it, you start seeing it everywhere and wonder how you could have ever missed it.  My conversion story (blasphemy?) is simple: shortly after I became a Christian, as a senior in high school, I was exposed to the doctrinal system of Calvinism and quickly understood it as truth.

Just like most recent converts to Calvinism, I became a super enthusiastic hyper-Calvinist for a while- but eventually settled down.  I try my best not to make it into or use it as a system or paradigm for doctrine, but instead in a doxological way- which I think is closer to Paul and Augustine.  

Nevertheless, Calvinism thoroughly influences my preaching, prayer, ministry, and joy.  No other doctrine has opened up the glory of the Cross or been such a warm blanket to my soul at dark times.  Hello, my name is Mike.  I am a Calvinist.


4 comments:

  1. Good post. I agree with you on such things. I still can't believe how I didn't see it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've viewed your blog about 6 times today in an effort to procrastinate on my paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I am above 500 views on the site! Next is 1,000! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 pointer? Dear God, I'm only a 5-pointer. Why does this post make me feel two points away from the kingdom? I have not yet discovered the final two points. Please, enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete