Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Week with Autism!!

Hey guys!  I got back Wednesday evening from my week at camp.  Let me tell you, it was sooo amazing.  God showed me and taught me and loved on me so much during this week.  First a little about the camp, it is called Camp Barnabas, Texas and is a smaller sister camp of the larger Camp Barnabas, Missouri. Anyway, it is a camp for kids with special needs (mainly down syndrome and a wide variety of Autistic disorders) where they can come be a normal kid for a week while their parents get a break.

I love camps (see my post on Sky Ranch) and have wanted to work at a special needs camp for a little over a year so I was excited when I saw that they accept counselors for only one week and that going last week would fit my busy schedule this summer.  My camper was an 8 year old boy named Spencer who had autism.  He was non-verbal, which meant he rarely used words (I learned a lot of signs, haha).  He was such a joy!  He had to have been one of the most content people I have ever met in life.  A few of his favorite things: turning light-switches on and off, flushing the toilet, splashing in the pool, watching and playing the drums, and swinging on the porch with me.

Spencer seemed to see all things for the first time and was always overwhelmed with awe and wonder at the beauty and complexity of everything around him.  In many ways I felt like he was able to see and observe the world much more than "normal" people are.

I learned many things at camp, including but not limited to: 1)A love for kids with special needs and their families, 2)a confidence in dealing with Autistic kids, 3)God further revealed himself, his love, patience, and the Cross to me.  I will be back next summer- and hope to take a good group with me so we can experience more of God's grace and participate more fully in his deeply life-giving Kingdom-building work.

5 comments:

  1. Mike,
    My name is Tom Arledge, I am Spencer's grandfather. I apreciate your comments and your committment to helping special needs kids like Spencer. He seem to have had a "Terrific" time at camp. He is so special to our family and we appreciate the time you soent with him this past week.
    God Bless you and your work,
    Tom Arledge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Arledge,
    Thanks for the comment! I had such a great time at camp as well! Spencer is such an awesome guy.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    I am Spencer's aunt and I love him like my own children. He has been a blessing to our whole family. Thank you for sharing your experiences at camp with Spencer. Spencer had a great time a camp. Thank you for all that you do.
    Courtney Christenson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,
    Thank you for your comment. Spencer is such a blessing and you all are lucky to have him! I am sure I will be sharing some more stories from camp on the blog here in the near future.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you, Mike,
    We are Courtney's in-laws. Courtney has devoted herself to Spencer and to promoting awareness of the alarming rise of autism in this generation of God's children. Thank you for your friendship with Spencer. We know he was blessed by your love and the fun he had with you.

    Annette & Lance Christenson

    ReplyDelete