Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Summer Book Reviews: #2- "To Own a Dragon"- Donald Miller

Donald Miller’s “To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing up without a Father” is an excellent conversation partner.  He stays true to form with a gritty and honest style of writing that makes for a personal and memorable read.  I don’t always agree with his theology, however I do always find myself enjoying his work.

The book is about Donald’s journey to manhood and the growing up that he does with the help of an older man.  Miller, an expert in the genre of memoir, writes in such a way that illuminates his past actions and motives and gives the reader fresh insight into their own past.  I did grow up with a father and have had many men step into my life in important ways- yet I can still identify with many of the feelings Miller expresses in the book.

If you enjoy a good story, some laughter, and an honest discussion of problems- this book is for you.  I still think that “Searching For God Knows What” is Miller’s best effort to date, but this one is definitely worth a read.


Currently Reading: “Justification: God’s Plan and Paul’s Vision”- N.T. Wright ; it is amazing.  Be looking for that review soon.  Also, “Story Saturday” will start this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment