Friday, May 15, 2009

Summer Book Reviews: #1- "Confessions of a Reformission Rev"

I recently finished Mark Driscoll’s book, “Confessions of a Reformissional Rev.”  The subtitle is “hard lessons from an emerging missional church.”  It was a good read that captured my attention, gave me ideas, and gave me a look into Driscoll’s past and heart.  The book is basically a fly-by story of the founding and progress of Mars Hill Church in Seattle from a small group meeting into one of the largest, fastest growing, and most influential churches in America.

Driscoll characteristically writes with a gritty honesty that is much appreciated on my end.  He is very open about struggles and mistakes that he and his staff made in the hopes that others will be able to avoid the same shortcomings.  He makes some very interesting arguments for ‘big church’- though I am not sure he convinced me.  One of the coolest things I took from the book was the fact that pastors should love the people who aren’t yet at their church as much as the people who are already at their church.  I guess sometimes I feel guilty for caring so much about people I don’t know, so it was nice to know that it is allowed, even expected of a faithful pastor.  

While I don’t agree with everything he says or stands for, I do see Driscoll as a leader and a pioneer of our generation’s turn at preaching the Gospel.  “Confessions” is an excellent read and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment