Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Book Reviews: #5- "Comeback Churches" by Ed Stetzer and Mike Dodson


As a young and mostly un-trained new pastor, I am always looking for good pieces of advice or “nuggets” of wisdom on how to faithfully lead a church.  I have also been chosen by God to lead a small church that is (hopefully) on our way up.  We average anywhere from 45-65 people a Sunday and are hoping that this number grows over the next couple of years as we reach out to Sugar Land and see more life-change and Jesus-worship happening.  I am by no means turning into a “church growth fanatic”, as I still despise Pastors who lust after numbers, but I have recognized that for us to be faithful as a church we must be constantly reaching out and bringing in new people, baptizing others, and leading community change.  


I kept seeing this book recommended or referred to, so I put it on my summer reading list.  It was a great decision and definitely worth my time.  It is a research-driven book, so it won’t keep your attention like a novel or story; but it was filled with great truths, ideas, and encouragements.  A few things that I digested from my time spent in this work- the art of creating and casting a vision, the art of giving away ministry to others, the art of seeking excellence during services, and the art of praying long and hard for life-change.  


I also learned a few things from seeing how some of the other 300 churches did things during their “comeback”- and gleaned a few ideas that we will be implementing in the next few months.  If you are a church leader or someone deeply invested in the well-being of a small and struggling church, this book is worth your time.  If you don’t have a church home or don’t know Jesus- come check us out at Fc3 (www.fcccdoc.org).  We are young, welcoming, and we want to know Jesus in a real way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment