Thursday, July 2, 2009

My 5 Favorite Quotes From Jesus: #1 Mark 2:17b

"Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.  I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

For the next couple of weeks, along with my reviews of books I have read recently I will be doing a series titled "My 5 Favorite Quotes from Jesus" where I will list, in no particular order, 5 of my favorite things that Jesus said (and was recorded in Scripture).

This morning's quote comes from Mark 2:17 and is given in the context of a dinner party.  The scribes and Pharisees started mumbling to the disciples about the.. um, questionable (at best) guests reclining with Jesus.  He answers them with this haunting phrase.

I love this quote so much for many reasons.  One is there is a bit of sarcasm here since Jesus is fully aware that the "righteous" in question (the scribes and Pharisees) are not indeed righteous (as is part of the point).  Another reason is because I am a sick person.  It's true.  I am broken.  There are so many things that misfire in me and over and over again I fall- only to hear Jesus whisper these words into my soul.  He came for me.  Not for a future version of me.  Not for a holier, more mature me.  He came for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment